The difference between a contractor and a project manager ? Is there a difference at all ?
I recently had a consultation with a really nice lady, actually a smart business woman. She told me her story how her house was built by a contractor. The contractor did a good job. He took care about the plans, the permits, the trades, the inspections. And she as the client paid him trustworthy. But by the end she felt some leak of service.
That’s the construction business in Vancouver and area. The client hires a contractor , the contractor hires the trades, the contractor gets paid and will pay his sub trades – if its a good contractor.
Basically the contractor works for his own pocket, which is fine.
A Project Manager has an absolute consultation, planning and controlling role. He doesn’t have multiple things going on, because he works for you and your project. With a project manager ,hired for your renovation or new construction project, you are the boss.
Do you think a project manager is to expensive for your kitchen renovation or even for your small new construction project ?
Well, contracting companies have a huge overhang , which need to be paid…..
There is another way of renovation or new construction. You can be the active part – the General Contractor- but be advised to hire a Project Manager unless you are an construction lawyer.
The role of a Construction Project Manager:
1. plan, direct, coordinate, and budget your construction projects
2. he supervise a entire or only a part of the construction project
3. he schedule and coordinate all design and construction processes, including the selection, hiring, and oversight of specialty trades for example carpentry, plumbing, or electrical
4. Project Managers ensure that the project gets completed on time and within budget
5. Project Managers are superintendents, which are responsible for obtaining all necessary permits and licenses and, depending upon the contractual arrangements, for directing or monitoring compliance with building and safety codes
6. project managers deal with delays, caused by trades,accidents or just the weather
7. the reliable project manager is 24 hours a day on call for YOUR project